Hi there! Here is some info about commissioning me for any illustration project that is not book related.
If you are looking to hire me to illustrate a children’s book, this page may still apply to you, but click HERE to find out about the book-making process specifically.
Every project is different, and require different amounts of time and work. Therefore, the process may vary from project to project. But in general, it goes something like this:
1. Contact me
Write me an email – to email@example.com – with as much info as you can give me. The more I know from the start, the sooner we can determine what it’s going to take to finalize the project.
A few things that is good for me to know is:
- What am I illustrating? (Obviously)
- What is the illustration for? Who is the intended audience?
- Are there any specific measurements I need to stick to?
- How soon do you need it?
In the FAQ I take up a few things you can do to ensure that your illustration turns out the way you want it.
2. Developing the illustration
I will go through several small sketches and colour-tests. Once I’ve found the right colour and composition, I will make a final sketch, which is the pencil-version of your illustration.
This all happens with your feedback. You get to see and approve of each sketch before I take the next step.
Here’s an example of a final sketch:
3. Finalizing the illustration
Once the final sketch has been approved, I will get started on painting, and you just have to sit back and wait for me to finish.
I will deliver it to you via email, as a high resolution JPG file – unless we have agreed on something else.
I always use watercolour for my illustrations. And depending on the type of illustration, I might also include ink or colored pencils. For this particular illustration I have used ink to outline the objects.
There! All finished!
Now, some boring but equally important info:
Payments and prices
Unfortunately I can’t put up a price-list here. There are just too many factors to take into account when pricing a project, and depending on the size of it, it could be anywhere between $10 and $1000. So the only way to find out the cost is to discuss it with me. I will quote based on the intended use of the illustration, and the time it takes me to create it.
How to pay?
- I accept payments via paypal or bank transfer. If you, like most of my clients, are located anywhere outside of Sweden or Denmark, I do encourage using paypal, as it is the cheapest option for the both of us.
- Depending on the size of the project, I will either take the whole payment up front, or I will take 50% up front, and 50% upon delivery. You are welcome to have a saying in this.
If you change your mind and decide you don’t want that illustration after all, cancellation fees will apply.
- If you cancel before I’ve started drawing, you get a full refund.
- If you cancel after I’ve made the sketch, you get a 60% refund.
- If you cancel after I’ve delivered the final illustration, sorry, you get nothing back.
There are exceptions to this, for example if I didn’t follow the brief or messed up in another way, then of course we will work that out.
Copyrights and ownership.
The illustration still belongs to me. Unless otherwise is agreed upon, I keep the original and all all rights to use it.
But you do of course get your part as well. Depending on the size of your project and what it will be used for, we will either sign a contract or I’ll provide you with a receipt, which clarifies how the illustration(s) may be used, for how long, where etc.. No worries though, I’m really not as strict about it as I just made it seem.
Didn’t find the info you were looking for? I answer frequently asked questions HERE